Bifold Closet Door DIY with Paint and Trim



YOU GUYS!

This may be my favorite DIY project to date!  Who knew updating something as innocuous as closet doors could completely transform a room?!  We always knew we wanted to change out the plain orangey hollow cheap doors, but we didn’t know what or how.  We didn’t want to spend too much and wanted it to be something different, so we started googling and found some awesome ideas!
We ultimately decided paint and trim with some fun hardware would be just perfect!  

Here they are!
Check out the before picture too!








For the hardware, I searched high and low for what I wanted and couldn’t find the right product.  I knew I wanted a larger round shape but couldn’t find anything bigger than 2 inches.  Until I looked around our own house lol.  Pulled these knobs off a closet door we need to update anyway, and spray painted them with the product below!


Now we just need to tackle the floors and this room will eventually be the vision I had for it when we bought this house!!
Anyway, here is a rundown on what we used and how we did everything, however I also documented the process on my Instagram page in the story highlights called “DIY CLOSET DOOR”.
Also, we closely followed this tutorial!

TRIM:

PAINT:
Sherwin-Williams In Andiron Velvet Matte

Process:
Remove doors, clean, and prime and/or sand. We only primed.
Purchase trim pieces and prime those as well, before attaching them to the doors.  Since we have a mitre saw, we didn’t have them cut it at the store, but you definitely could!

Measured the total distance.. taking the length of closet divided by four (for 4 pieces of trim) which for us ended up being 24 inches in between each square.  We used liquid nails to get them in place first, and a clamp in some spots that were tricky to keep straight and then finished with a 1 inch 16 gage finishing nail which we used our nail gun for.  Then we filled the holes/indents with wood filler before moving on to the final step of painting!








We used two coats of paint, using both a roller brush and traditional brushes to get the look we wanted.  
I agonized over hardware for days because I’m just like that LOL and then we ended up just spray painting something we already had!
Check out my stories for all the details!!




Comments

Popular Posts